Gratitude is realizing that you are surrounded by thousands of pieces of good, even when there are big heavy burdens to bear. Here are some of the small recent gestures that moved me greatly:
- The stranger who carried my two bags (plus her own) all the way across the Minneapolis airport. Traveling with drains still attached and under a lifting restriction of 3 pounds created a serious challenge. I didn’t have a solution. This kind soul did the nicest, most necessary and helpful thing I needed right at that moment. It was a simple act of one person extending care to another. There is nothing like being heard and helped when you need it. She was kind, she was thoughtful, and her generosity probably protected me from injury. Her kindness, in light of my vulnerability, made me tear up. Thank you, Katie.
- Coming home to a handmade welcome sign from my neighborhood community. I don’t know how we got so fortunate to live in this special little world we’ve all created here, but it is truly a huge blessing in my family’s lives. We have children who will grow up as best friends, and adults who stand at the ready to help one another out. Life really is about the relationships you build, and I cannot say enough about the amazing people with whom we share streets and backyards (and fruit roll-ups and hot chocolate).
- My children crawled in to bed with Tom and me this morning. We snuggled as a family, giving hugs and telling stories, just sharing our time and love with one another. There is nothing in the world like being reunited with your family after a long absence, and to curl up with their love this morning was the greatest gift I could ask for right now. Honestly, there is nothing more in this world that I need than those three, and I am so beyond blessed to have them plus more.
- My mother and mother-in-law have done everything in their power to help Tom and me fight through this topsy turvy period of our lives. Without them, we would be sunk. Once again, family and love wins.
- My phone lit up throughout the day with messages of love and thankfulness from friends and family near and far. I am so grateful for each and every person who has reached out to us and who has lifted us up throughout these last nine months. Even when times are toughest, I feel I can reach out to my community and find the love and support I need to get me through. It is an incredibly powerful gift and my life is forever changed by it.
I hope your day brought the same kind of happy reflections mine did. It is in this moment that I am incredibly touched by all the beautiful, loving pieces in my life. They fall down on me like the fat snowflakes that covered the ground and trees outside this morning. I am blanketed in love and lifted up by grace. Thank you for being a part of this journey. It has created a beautiful life.
Give ‘Em Hell.